Lesson One

The first thing I learned from Jennifer is quality of life is not predetermined by DNA. Every human being that takes breath on this planet is a valuable life. I "chose" to get pregnant. I "chose" to continue the pregnancy after the DNA tests revealed that extra piece of material(Chromosome 21). But I did not "choose" to start life with extra challenges and heartbreak. Nor was I "blessed" with a special child. My daughter is a wonderful human being and I chose to give birth to, love, and provide the best life possible to this miracle of life we call "reproduction". Lesson one- Life happens, embrace it in all forms.

Thursday, August 2, 2007

Lesson Three

When my first child was born I was enrolled at the University of Louisville earning my Masters in Education. Jessica, my first born, was 2 when I became a full time teacher. I was so engaged in taking care of a young child, going to school, dealing with daily life,,the first 2 years just "slipped away" as time does during extremely emotional times of our lives. Well, Jennifer's first year of life was no different than Jessica's in that respect. Babies need their parent's full attention and Jennifer was no exception. There were memorable exceptions..the parade of First Steps Therapists who were my saviors, they came in and worked with Jennifer so I could actually "sit down" for a couple hours a week. The attention to details I took for granted with Jessica, such as having to buy 45 different kinds of bottle nipples and then sippy cups later that year to find the ONE Jennifer could drink from. The struggle to travel with a baby with reflux and the CONSTANT feeding the first six months of life because she could only keep down about 2 ounces of formula at a time. There were some extra challenges during that first year because of that annoying extra chromosome, but, the real journey lay ahead, I just didn't know it yet. Lesson three- Take nothing for granted, life events will happen on their own accord, you are not in charge.

No comments: