Lesson One

The first thing I learned from Jennifer is quality of life is not predetermined by DNA. Every human being that takes breath on this planet is a valuable life. I "chose" to get pregnant. I "chose" to continue the pregnancy after the DNA tests revealed that extra piece of material(Chromosome 21). But I did not "choose" to start life with extra challenges and heartbreak. Nor was I "blessed" with a special child. My daughter is a wonderful human being and I chose to give birth to, love, and provide the best life possible to this miracle of life we call "reproduction". Lesson one- Life happens, embrace it in all forms.

Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Lesson Two

Jennifer was born the day before Thanksgiving, 2001. She had to stay in NICU(Neonatal Intensive Care Unit) for 33 days so the day I got to bring her home was Christmas Day, 2001. The 33 days she was in there were the longest 33 days of my life. She was born with a "hole in her heart"(thats the complete non medical explanation). Basically, without the dedicated doctors, nurses, lab technicians, orderlies, social workers, etc that worked hard to keep Jennifer alive during those first fews days of her life,,this all would have ended there, almost 6 years ago in that year the United States turned sideways and we learned about terrorism in an unforgetable 30 minutes. Lesson Two: Babies born with down sydrome are not seen as a positive event by many people in the medical field, however, if you and the child prevail, they will honor their professions and do the best they can.

No comments: